Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Lost in space

Hi everyone, it's been ages since I've posted- so sorry, I'm now two weeks behind- but I'm hoping I'll be able to catch up by the end of this week (haa 'hope' is key word here). Also sorry if I scared anyone with my last post, I don't mean to be a slave driver at all! I am stoked to see everyone's work up here though, it's looking REALLY good.


Okay okay so here's my space post. I'm agreeing with Maria that literal space isn't my ideal, too freaky, so I opted out with a folk tale instead. I used the Norwegian story, East of the Sun West of the Moon (better known with Kay Nielsen's illustrations). Like Nielsen, I drew the North wind, which is that weird blue guy who's taking the girl to the castle. Oh and though I love Caran D'ache pencils, they are SO HARD TO BLEND. And erase (note the accidental orange line in the wind's hair- it'll be edited out eventually). Or atleast the water-resistant ones I have are. Also, don't judge me on my eyeball stars. You know when you're working into the wee hours of the night and you get a sudden irrational urge to do something you'll find totally dumb in the morning? Yeah...

P.S.- If there's anyone else anyone knows who'd like to join this sketch group, by all means let them in!

2 comments:

  1. haven't been on the blog in a while and was so pleased to see all these lovely new posts up! It's pretty fabulous how you always illustrate folk tales. I actually quite like the eye stars but the orange line in wind's hair has to go.

    i need to catch up on the topics tooo. i think we probably should have done a project every fortnight instead since everyone seems behind.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the artwork. It's very charming and magical. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete